Assembly of God Evangelistic Center/Avondale Theatre

358 Oliver Street



Photo: Avondale Theatre, Date Unknown. Courtesy of William C. Wittkowsky Collection

Originally the home of the Avondale Theatre, in 1956, this former theater building at the corner of Oliver and Robinson Streets was purchased by the members of the Christian Tabernacle.  After extensive remodeling, the church was renamed the Assembly of God Evangelistic Center.  At the time of the remodeling, the pastor was the Rev. Homer Cooper, who served the congregation until his retirement in 1975.  In 1977, the Rev. Domenick and Mrs. Elsie Ezzo assumed the pastorate of the church and later that year a groundbreaking took place for their modern church building with an educational wing on an East Robinson Street site acquired by the congregation in 1967.  The new church was dedicated in January 1979.  The theater building shown above remained vacant from 1979 until the late 1980's when it was demolished to create a parking lot.


To view our section on Oliver Street, please click HERE.


© 2005-2010 North Tonawanda History Museum
54 Webster Street
North Tonawanda, NY 14120
(716) 213-0554